Skip to main content

The (Beautiful) Chaos of an Awakening


The horizon shifts, and suddenly you’re staring at the unknown again.

We’ve all heard it: “Step out of your comfort zone.” Sounds so simple, right? Except it isn’t. Because leaving your comfort zone isn’t a single leap. It’s a thousand small, trembling steps, each heavier than the last, each one asking you to trust yourself when the ground feels uncertain. And the truth is, you never really arrive. Every time you think you’ve reached solid ground, the horizon shifts, and suddenly you’re staring at the unknown again. Your heart pounds, your palms sweat, your stomach twists into knots, and you wonder if you even have what it takes.

The person standing on the edge of change is often the one they once longed to become. And yet, even when that version finally arrives, leaving behind the familiar is never easy. There is a quiet pride in how far the journey has gone, but also a subtle grief for the version left behind. The cracks that once held old fears, the places that once felt too tight to grow, remain as reminders of how much has changed. Becoming who was once dreamed of does not mark the end of the journey. It only signals the start of the next chapter, one that feels just as terrifying as it does exhilarating.

Right now, it feels like two completely opposite emotions can exist at the same time. There is an exciting thrill for what lies ahead, and at the very same moment, a deep, paralyzing fear of stepping into it. What if the world is too loud for the person who learned to grow in the quiet? What if the safety nets disappear and there is no clear way to find direction again?

It feels like standing on the edge of something vast, feeling the wind rush past, knowing the step forward is inevitable, but not knowing what the landing will look like. The body feels it before the mind understands it. The heart beats faster, the chest tightens, the hands feel restless, as if holding on to something familiar just a little longer might make the unknown less frightening.

A thousand small, trembling steps, each one asking you to trust yourself

There is a strange comfort in the things that have always been known. The smell of morning coffee in the same kitchen, the bus routes that don’t need to be checked twice, the streets that feel familiar even when walking without thinking, the quiet rhythm of days that unfold exactly the way they always have. The kind of familiarity that makes life feel steady without ever needing to question it. And then suddenly, there is the thought of letting go of all of it. New streets that don’t recognize you yet, new rooms that feel too silent, new routines that haven’t learned your name.

And in that moment, the excitement and the fear exist together. The fear of losing what feels like home, and the thrill of knowing that something bigger might be waiting on the other side. A strange, undeniable pull toward what comes next, even when every part of you wishes you could hold on to the familiar just a little longer.

There is grief in moments like this too. Quiet, subtle grief for the version of life that hasn’t even ended yet. The comfort of routines, the familiarity of spaces, the small things that once felt ordinary suddenly feel heavier, more meaningful. Once the step is taken, nothing will be exactly the same again.

The person who comes out on the other side will be stronger, more resilient, maybe even wiser. But they will not be exactly the same. Some innocence fades, some certainty disappears, and some comfort is left behind. That is the part no one talks about when they say growth is exciting. To become someone new, something familiar always has to be let go. And even when the change is wanted, even when it has been worked toward for years, it can still feel terrifying to walk straight into something that will reshape you.

The person standing on the edge of change is often the one they once longed to become

But what I have come to realise (in my limited experience!) is that the fear, the doubt, the endless stream of what-ifs are not signs that something is wrong. They are often the signs that something is changing. Comfort feels safe because it is known, but staying there too long starts to feel like standing still. Restlessness is what reminds us that we are meant to move, meant to grow, meant to see what happens when we step beyond what we already understand. Sometimes getting lost is the only way to know which parts of us are permanent, and which parts only existed because of where we were.

So the only thing left to do is lean into the scary part. Let the thoughts come, let the questions circle, let the heart race a little faster. Breathe through the uncertainty, feel the nervous energy, feel the excitement right next to the fear. Because on the other side of all this chaos is a version that has not been met yet. Someone braver, a little stronger, a little more alive than before. And the only way to meet that person is to take the step forward anyway.

Feet trembling, hands slightly shaking, heart beating faster than usual.
Thrilled. Terrified.
And completely alive.

Comments

  1. This is so beautiful! “Subtle grief” is such a perfect way to put it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so so proud of you! The way you balance vulnerability with your words is simply amazing! Best of luck 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt every word of this. Currently staring at my own 'new streets' and this was exactly what I needed to hear

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honest presentation of inner feelings at this juncture. Knowing unknown remains an objective of human being since begininning of the civilization. A step outside the comfort zone is a step towards victory,success and achievements. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well written. I am proud of you my daughter. Good luck. ❤️👌🙌

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so so much Prachi! I really needed to hear this

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prachi! How do you write so beautifully? Very well written

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Being a ‘Good Girl’ to Becoming My Own Woman

Baby Prachi says Hi! Present-day Prachi says Hi but with swag!                                                      When I was younger, Women’s Day barely registered. It was just another date on the calendar. No excitement, no reflection. Honestly, I didn’t think it would ever matter to me. Maybe that’s because I didn’t see myself as part of the story yet. I wasn’t really a woman, just someone who would grow into one someday. Now, in my mid-twenties (well, technically I’m 24, so one more year to go, ahahahaha), the day feels different. It’s not about celebration, flowers, or hashtags. It’s about reflection. About taking a moment to think about how much I’ve changed, and how my idea of what it means to be a woman has shifted over time. Growing up, being a “good woman” seemed simple. Polite, responsible, respectful, never rocking the boat, never disappoint...

The Prachi I Chose to Be

It’s been two years since I landed in Singapore, and trust me when I say that the Prachi who boarded that flight from Delhi on July 24, 2023, isn’t the same Prachi writing this today, on August 18, 2025. This isn’t just about change, it’s about choice. Every step, every struggle, every leap outside my comfort zone has shaped the Prachi I chose to be . It’s been a while since I last wrote here, and a lot has happened in the past year. These experiences have molded me into the woman I am today. Now that I finally have a few days to relax before my new job begins, I thought it was the perfect time to share my journey. Maybe some of you will see a bit of your own story in mine. Settling In: Home Comforts Vs Independence When I first came to Singapore, I had never truly left home before (yes, I was a day scholar during undergrad, #sedlyf). Moving out for the first time, to a different country with a different culture, education system, and even a new subject, was daunting. For someone w...