Skip to main content

Somewhere Between Then and Now

When I was a kid, I was in a relentless hurry to grow up. I would often bug my parents, and how can I forget my elder brother? Hahaha. He is eight years older than me, and I remember wishing I were older, just like him. I’m sure many of you felt the same way back then.

Baby Prachi says Hi!

To me, growing up was a glamorous heist. It meant the "Big Bag"...a leather vessel of secrets and power. It meant earning money so I could finally walk into a store and buy the largest chocolate bar without looking at my mom for a nod of approval. Adulthood was the promised land of "Yes."

But now, that now i am about to enter in my mid-twenties, the "Big Bag" is on my shoulder, and it’s heavier than I ever imagined. Not because of what’s inside it, but because of what I had to leave behind to carry it.

The "Grey" Reality

I often ask myself: “Is this the version of life I was sprinting toward?” The answer isn't a simple "no," but it’s a complicated, murky grey. Yes, I have the independence. Yes, I have the paycheck. But I’ve realized that while I was chasing the freedom to buy whatever I wanted, the world was quietly putting a price tag on things that used to be free. I’m talking about Empathy. I’m talking about Genuineness.

You might ask, "Prachi, what’s new in this?" Lately, the world has shown me its coldest face. It made me wonder: are we still human?


The Spectator Society

The other day, while I was walking, two cyclists almost collided with me, causing me to fall hard. My jeans tore, and my knee was a mess of blood and gravel. I sat there on the pavement, stunned and hurting. The cyclists? They looked back. They saw me on the ground. They saw the blood. And then, they just... kept pedaling. To them, I wasn't a person in pain; I was just a minor obstacle they had successfully cleared.

A few days later, I almost broke my ankle. I live alone, and tbh fear of being immobile even for a short while is terrifying as you have to do everything on your own. However, I gathered every ounce of courage I had to hobble out of my door to try and get to the hospital. My neighbor saw me struggling through the pain, barely able to put one foot in front of the other. Her contribution? A casual, empty, "Oh, take care," as she walked away. 

I went to the hospital on my own, handled my business, and completed two weeks of bed rest solo. Honestly, I am proud of that strength...but at what cost? That "take care" felt like a door slamming in my face. It was the ultimate adult transaction: she acknowledged my existence just enough to be polite, but not enough to be human. At what point did ‘being polite’ replace ‘being kind’?

The Luxury of Being Seen (and the Facade)

The world feels so broken that if you actually look at someone and say, "Hey, are you okay? You seem a little sad," they are genuinely surprised that you even noticed. We live in a world of facades, where everyone is wearing a mask of "fine" or "busy."

It’s become incredibly difficult to find people who are genuinely happy for your wins or truly sad when you are down. People smile for the photo but turn away when the light fades. Finding someone who stays when the facade drops has become a luxury that even millionaires can’t afford. Things that were considered "normal" in the playground have become rare gems in adulthood.

Why has it become like this? Have we become a society of bookkeepers, calculating the ROI of every interaction? I’m grateful for the specific spaces and people in my life where this isn't the case, but in the broader world, it feels like we’ve optimized the humanity right out of our lives.

And the cycle is vicious. Even when you try to break it..when you choose to offer a hand or a listening ear without an invoice-you are met with a flicker of suspicion. We’ve been conditioned to believe that "free" is a trap. And the uncomfortable truth is—I’ve been on the other side too. 

The Trust Paradox

In this sea of indifference, I have met a few rare, beautiful souls who have restored my faith in humanity...people who give without an invoice. Though these people are few, I am deeply grateful for each one of them; they have shaped my experiences and kept me grounded when the world felt too transactional.

But the question remains: Why are there so few? Even when I receive these acts of goodness, I get suspicious. My mind starts looking for the catch, wondering, "What do they want from me? or Wow! Do people like this still exist? Is this even normal?" It’s a heartbreaking trade-off. In the process of protecting myself, I’ve built a wall so high that it sometimes keeps the genuine warmth out, too. I am sure that "kiddo Prachi" would have never thought twice if she received goodness; to her, kindness was simply the way the world worked.

Little Things (That Are Not So Little)

Maybe the fix isn't as grand as I think it is. Maybe it’s all about the little things...the things that seem small on the surface but are actually massive when the world feels cold.

A hand held out when someone stumbles. A genuine, "Are you okay?" that waits for a real answer. A friend who is actually, deeply happy for your success without a hint of comparison. These are the things that are little, but not so little. They are the tiny cracks where the light gets back into our lives.

Reclaiming the Magic

The most heartbreaking part of growing up isn't the bills. It’s the realization that I might have traded off the version of myself that didn't need a reason to care.

I have the chocolate now. I have the toy. I have the bag. But I’m standing in a crowd of people who are all doing the math- calculating value and guarding their hearts like bank vaults.

Maybe the "glamour" wasn't in the office bag or the money. Maybe the real glamour was in the seven-year-old me who loved things- and people...for no reason at all. I’m realizing that the only way to truly "grow up" now is to start unlearning the transaction. I want to be the person who stops for the fallen stranger, even if they wonder why I’m doing it. I want to be the one who drops the facade. And most importantly, I want to learn how to lower my guard when a genuine soul reaches out with those "not-so-little" things.

Because if this "grey" adulthood is all there is, then I’d rather be the kid who had nothing in her pockets, but everything in her heart.




Comments

  1. You articulated something I have been feeling for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me pause…I think I needed this

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Being a ‘Good Girl’ to Becoming My Own Woman

Baby Prachi says Hi! Present-day Prachi says Hi but with swag!                                                      When I was younger, Women’s Day barely registered. It was just another date on the calendar. No excitement, no reflection. Honestly, I didn’t think it would ever matter to me. Maybe that’s because I didn’t see myself as part of the story yet. I wasn’t really a woman, just someone who would grow into one someday. Now, in my mid-twenties (well, technically I’m 24, so one more year to go, ahahahaha), the day feels different. It’s not about celebration, flowers, or hashtags. It’s about reflection. About taking a moment to think about how much I’ve changed, and how my idea of what it means to be a woman has shifted over time. Growing up, being a “good woman” seemed simple. Polite, responsible, respectful, never rocking the boat, never disappoint...

The (Beautiful) Chaos of an Awakening

The horizon shifts, and suddenly you’re staring at the unknown again. We’ve all heard it: “Step out of your comfort zone.” Sounds so simple, right? Except it isn’t. Because leaving your comfort zone isn’t a single leap. It’s a thousand small, trembling steps, each heavier than the last, each one asking you to trust yourself when the ground feels uncertain. And the truth is, you never really arrive. Every time you think you’ve reached solid ground, the horizon shifts, and suddenly you’re staring at the unknown again. Your heart pounds, your palms sweat, your stomach twists into knots, and you wonder if you even have what it takes. The person standing on the edge of change is often the one they once longed to become. And yet, even when that version finally arrives, leaving behind the familiar is never easy. There is a quiet pride in how far the journey has gone, but also a subtle grief for the version left behind. The cracks that once held old fears, the places that once felt too tight ...

The Prachi I Chose to Be

It’s been two years since I landed in Singapore, and trust me when I say that the Prachi who boarded that flight from Delhi on July 24, 2023, isn’t the same Prachi writing this today, on August 18, 2025. This isn’t just about change, it’s about choice. Every step, every struggle, every leap outside my comfort zone has shaped the Prachi I chose to be . It’s been a while since I last wrote here, and a lot has happened in the past year. These experiences have molded me into the woman I am today. Now that I finally have a few days to relax before my new job begins, I thought it was the perfect time to share my journey. Maybe some of you will see a bit of your own story in mine. Settling In: Home Comforts Vs Independence When I first came to Singapore, I had never truly left home before (yes, I was a day scholar during undergrad, #sedlyf). Moving out for the first time, to a different country with a different culture, education system, and even a new subject, was daunting. For someone w...