Skip to main content

Old age: A reincarnation of childhood?




Well, I'm sure you've heard the proverb "Bacche aur budhe barabar hote hai"—haha, even I have heard it quite frequently. However, I also had the good fortune to see this. I've had the pleasure of spending time with my grandparents, and one thing I noticed is that there are many similarities between an elderly person and a young child. 
        In fact, my parents will soon be considered senior citizens (and this indirectly implies that I am actually a grown up now :/ ) , and over time, I have noticed many noticeable changes in their behavior that are typical of the elderly people (and kids obviously!) I have interacted with. 

They initially exhibit obstinacy. They tend to be somewhat stubborn, if not entirely. My nani (maternal grandmother), for example, sometimes acts like a child. If she wants something, say supaari (betel nut), she wants it at the very moment. This is very similar to the situation when a child requests something and you are unable to fulfil it for whatever reason:). You can guess what happens next. And this isn't just the case with my nani! This is a very common behavior I've observed in all the aged people I've met. 
       
Secondly, older people value the little things just like children do. They also value the emotions rather than the monetary value of something, similar to how children are content with the simplest of things. I once made a card for my nanaji (maternal grandfather) when I was around 10 years old . And believe me when I say that card was just covered in doodles. To be completely honest, I would blush in shame if I were to see that card right now. My nanaji, on the other hand, was ecstatic that I created a card for him. I'm not sure what made him so happy, but he was ecstatic to see that I did something for him. He valued my feelings of love and affection for him more than the card's aesthetic value. Similar to this, whenever you do something for children, they are overjoyed. They believe they have earned everything. They are such angelic souls, don't you think?

Additionally, just as children yearn to be constantly surrounded by their loved ones, seniors yearn for the same thing: constant presence of their family and loved ones. They desire to feel important by virtue of being there. They aspire to live close to their families and cherish every second of it. For example, in June of this year, I went to my mother's nani-gaam (Nani's place), and on the way back, my grandfather began crying uncontrollably. He wasn't unaware that we'd be leaving one day. He truly understands our situation as a mature and wise person, but he was saddened by the sudden realization that there would be no one to talk to now. Life would revert to its original state. He would now have to go through the same mundane routine, and his unexpected outburst of emotions caused him to cry. It is true of all elderly people; my grandfather is not the only one. Just some of them can do so more effectively than others when it comes to expressing their emotions. In fact, make an effort to feel this the next time you visit your grandparents. You can better understand someone else's situation if you try to feel things from their point of view.

And lastly, just like children, elderly people need our care and affection. They only have a reason to live because of our unwavering love and care for them. We should make an effort to always make them feel special. I am aware that in today's society, we frequently lament the lack of time we have for things like this. However, if something or someone is truly important to us, we work incredibly hard to find time for them. These people don't require material possessions, as I already mentioned. The value of emotions. Perhaps we should attempt to communicate with them every 4-5 days or so. Nothing fancy. They may smile and forget their worries simply by being asked about their day. Trust me, it's all in the little things folks! 

Adding some of my favorite quotes-

"Capriciousness is the preserve of the old. So marvelous to be able to let random thoughts pour from the mind to the tongue without pause or retribution" ~ Hannah Rothschild

" Love, care and treasure the elderly people in the society." ~ Lailah Gifty Akita

Comments

  1. I am glad that you enjoyed reading this! Really means a lot to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was amazing going through this article great job!
    Aspecting some thing like this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your supportive words! Really means a lot to me :D

      Delete
  3. its very nicely articulated . just a cent of thought - their is a difference between children and senior citizens…. Later one has something called experience of life which doesn’t fade with age while children start their life with empty bowl of experience…so when senior citizens ask for Sth and not been done on time means things are really late, on the other hand children yell because they don’t know, how much time it take to get something.. hope we all understand this difference

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaar!!! It’s really soothing to read it bcoz of the way you described it… it’s the little things that matters a lot. And many fail to take note of those little things and regret it after its gone completely

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

From Being a ‘Good Girl’ to Becoming My Own Woman

Baby Prachi says Hi! Present-day Prachi says Hi but with swag!                                                      When I was younger, Women’s Day barely registered. It was just another date on the calendar. No excitement, no reflection. Honestly, I didn’t think it would ever matter to me. Maybe that’s because I didn’t see myself as part of the story yet. I wasn’t really a woman, just someone who would grow into one someday. Now, in my mid-twenties (well, technically I’m 24, so one more year to go, ahahahaha), the day feels different. It’s not about celebration, flowers, or hashtags. It’s about reflection. About taking a moment to think about how much I’ve changed, and how my idea of what it means to be a woman has shifted over time. Growing up, being a “good woman” seemed simple. Polite, responsible, respectful, never rocking the boat, never disappoint...

The (Beautiful) Chaos of an Awakening

The horizon shifts, and suddenly you’re staring at the unknown again. We’ve all heard it: “Step out of your comfort zone.” Sounds so simple, right? Except it isn’t. Because leaving your comfort zone isn’t a single leap. It’s a thousand small, trembling steps, each heavier than the last, each one asking you to trust yourself when the ground feels uncertain. And the truth is, you never really arrive. Every time you think you’ve reached solid ground, the horizon shifts, and suddenly you’re staring at the unknown again. Your heart pounds, your palms sweat, your stomach twists into knots, and you wonder if you even have what it takes. The person standing on the edge of change is often the one they once longed to become. And yet, even when that version finally arrives, leaving behind the familiar is never easy. There is a quiet pride in how far the journey has gone, but also a subtle grief for the version left behind. The cracks that once held old fears, the places that once felt too tight ...

The Prachi I Chose to Be

It’s been two years since I landed in Singapore, and trust me when I say that the Prachi who boarded that flight from Delhi on July 24, 2023, isn’t the same Prachi writing this today, on August 18, 2025. This isn’t just about change, it’s about choice. Every step, every struggle, every leap outside my comfort zone has shaped the Prachi I chose to be . It’s been a while since I last wrote here, and a lot has happened in the past year. These experiences have molded me into the woman I am today. Now that I finally have a few days to relax before my new job begins, I thought it was the perfect time to share my journey. Maybe some of you will see a bit of your own story in mine. Settling In: Home Comforts Vs Independence When I first came to Singapore, I had never truly left home before (yes, I was a day scholar during undergrad, #sedlyf). Moving out for the first time, to a different country with a different culture, education system, and even a new subject, was daunting. For someone w...